Are you checking your analytics data everyday?
Probably not, but even if you are: Do you monitor all the important events on your site?
In Google Analytics you have the option to create Custom Alerts to monitor events that are important for your site, eg, Pages not found, spike or drops in traffic, new referrals, etc. without login Google Analytics.
Here is an example of what Google will send to your email if you have a custom alert set up:
It is fairly simple to set up and very powerful, so lets go through the set up steps:
Login Google Analytics and click on “Admin”:
Click on “Views” and select the view on the drop down menu you want to set the custom Alert for and then click on “Custom Alerts”:
NOTE: Custom Alerts will not modify your data, but to test that your alert is working as expected, you can still create it in your test view first.
Let’s create a daily alert that will warn us when traffic drops over 20%. Click on “New Alert”:
Let’s go through the steps:
- Set a name for the Alert. This is the name you will see in the email from Google, so give a self-explanatory name: 20% traffic drop,
- You have already chosen the view, but here you can select additional views if you want to apply the same alert to other profile views,
- Select the frequency for the alert: Daily
- Check the box to send the email alert to your gmail account and add other users if needed
- Add your mobile phone to receive the alerts by SMS
- Select which segment you want to apply the alert to, in this case: “All traffic”
- Specify the criteria for the alert. In this case, you want trigger the alert when traffic from all visits (8) decreases more than (9) 20% compared to the (10) previous day.
- Click save and you are done!
What other Custom Alerts can I create?
Review our list of the most common Alerts you can create for your website and start creating your own to let Google Analytics monitor your traffic for you.