With Google Analytics you have always had the possibility to analyze and understand what is and what is not working on your site. If you enable Google Analytics benchmarking, you will be able to understand what is working for your competitors and compare the results with your own data.
You will be able to choose the following parameters to narrow down to your industry and sites of your size:
- Industry: You can choose from over 1600 industry categories
- Location: You can select the country or region to narrow it down. Note that Google might not have enough sites contributing with data if you narrow it down too much (see 4.)
- Traffic volume: Select the volume (in sessions) of your site to compare with sites like yours
- Sample size: The number of sites that contributes with data.
Let’s go through the steps to get the data for this report.
Login Google Analytics and click “Admin”:
Go to “Account” and “Account Settings”:
Scroll down and click on:
- “With other Google Products only”
- “Anonymously with Google and others”
and click save:
NOTE: If you enable only “Anonymously with Google and others” as specified by Google, your Benchmarking report will NOT be generated.
To access the benchmarking report click on “Reporting”:
Then click on “Audience” and “Benchmarking”:
And you will have access to three reports:
Google Analytics is rolling out this feature, so don’t panic if you don’t see it in your account yet!
Don’t know where to start?
Look at an example of how I used the benchmarking report to increase mobile traffic in one of my hobby sites.